The one-and-only Hobbiton from The Lord of the Rings is now on Airbnb
● To celebrate the 10th anniversary of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, guests will be transported to Middle-earth™ with an exclusive overnight stay at the iconic Hobbiton Movie Set in New Zealand.
● Fans will get the chance to live like Hobbits in the original filming location and explore the behind-the-scenes making of the film trilogies that have become an unexpected holiday classic.
Manila, Philippines. 09 December 2022 — For the first time ever, fans from around the world can explore the faraway lands of their favorite holiday films with an exclusive overnight stay at the original Hobbiton™ Movie Set. Russell Alexander is inviting guests to his family’s property to live like Bilbo Baggins and retreat to The Shire™ for an overnight stay at Hobbiton, as featured in the famed The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies.
Nestled in the picturesque pastures of New Zealand’s Waikato region on a 2,500-acre working farm, the property’s rolling, green hills – bear a striking similarity to The Shire™ as described by J. R. R. Tolkien in The Lord of the Rings, and captivated Sir Peter Jackson’s movie scouts more than two decades ago. The team quickly realized the Hobbits had found their home – and this holiday season, it could be yours.
Alexander will host three individual two-night stays for up to four guests at NZD $10 per night* as an homage to the 10th anniversary of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, courtesy of Airbnb.
With access to 44 Hobbit Holes, The Millhouse, The Green Dragon Inn, and other beloved locations from the work of J.R.R. Tolkien, guests will take an unexpected journey into Middle-earth for an experience unlike any other.
With sweeping views of The Shire, they’ll enjoy:
- Cozy overnight accommodation curated by the trilogies’ Creative Director Brian Massey, including a writing nook fit for Bilbo Baggins at The Millhouse.
- Private access to a personal Hobbit Hole, set up for relaxing moments of Preciousss™ downtime and afternoon tea.
- An evening banquet in The Green Dragon Inn with a feast featuring beef and ale stew, whole roast chickens, freshly baked breads and plenty of ale, plus Second Breakfast™ and Elevenses™ served daily.
- A behind-the-scenes private tour of Hobbiton Movie Set.
Now, one does not simply walk into Middle-earth. There are rules!
- No unexpected parties, please – unless with Gandalf and company.
- Bare feet are allowed but wipe them first.
- Magical rings permitted, but keep them secret, keep them safe.
- Pony parking is provided only at The Green Dragon Inn.
- Straying far at night is discouraged, thanks to multiple troll sightings of late.
- No pets are allowed, except Pickles the resident Hobbiton cat.
- Never laugh at live dragons…
“For more than two decades, we’ve welcomed millions of passionate fans to Hobbiton Movie Set, but never before has anyone had the opportunity to spend a night in Middle-earth. I am delighted to share the beauty of my family’s farm and pleased to be hosting this iconic location on Airbnb for fans from around the world,” shares Host Russel Alexander.
How to book
Hobbits, elves, wizards and others may request to book one of three overnight stays on Wednesday, December 14 from 10:00AM NZDT/5:00AM PHT at airbnb.com/hobbiton. Stays will take place March 2-4, March 9-11, and March 16-18, 2023. You Shall Not Pass! (without requesting to book, of course).
To request to book, guests must have a verified Airbnb profile, a history of positive reviews and be aged 18+. Maximum occupancy is four persons. Two bedrooms are configured, featuring one queen bed, and the other two king-singles.
Guests are responsible for their own transportation to and from Auckland, New Zealand. Round trip car transportation will be provided for the two-hour journey between the airport and the property. (And just as a Wizard is never late, it’s important our guests arrive at their stay precisely when they mean to).
Travellers looking to book should note that this stay’s rules require strict adherence with local COVID-19 guidelines. Guests are responsible for their own travel to and from Auckland. Airbnb is closely monitoring COVID-19 infection rates and government policies and will offer booking guests a refund of the booking fee ($31) and $1,000 USD Airbnb travel credit if Airbnb determines it is necessary to cancel the stay due to COVID-19 guidelines.
*Plus taxes and fees. These three individual two-night stays are not a contest. The Hobbiton Movie Set is privately owned and operated.
SHIRE TOURS, SHIRE’S REST, MIDDLE-EARTH, GREEN DRAGON, HOBBITON, THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS and the characters, places, events and items contained therein, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Middle-Earth Enterprises, LLC and are used under license by Rings Scenic Tours Limited and Wingnut Film Productions Limited, which are independently owned and operated.
About Hobbiton Movie Set
From the moment you journey through the rolling green hills of the Waikato and get your first glimpse of real Middle-earth™, Hobbiton Movie Set will enchant you as a fictional world comes to life and captivating stories are shared. Since that fateful knock at the door in 1998, to the permanent reconstruction in 2009, every detail of the 12-acre movie set is lovingly maintained, creating the experience that exists today. Guests from around the world will feel welcomed to our slice of New Zealand countryside with iconic storybook landscapes, where each encounter offers a unique and authentic behind-the-scenes movie set experience.
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.