Javicia Leslie cast as new Batwoman, replacing Ruby Rose for CW show
Multiple sources report that Javicia Leslie has been cast as the new lead for the CW show Batwoman which recently lost it’s main star Ruby Rose after wrapping up the first season.
The actress had a previous role in the series “God Friended Me” before jumping ship and being cast into the role of the new Batwoman in Gotham City.
Here’s what we know so far:
- Her character is named Ryan Wilder and she’s the polar opposite of Rose’s character Kathy Kane in the series.
- you can check out her character description from CW themselves: “Ryan Wilder is about to become Batwoman. She’s likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed. She’s also nothing like Kate Kane, the woman who wore the Batsuit before her. With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits. Today Ryan lives in her van with her plant. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat and could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. An out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your stereotypical All-American hero.”
- Showrunner Caroline Dries has stated that while the introduced a new character, Kathy Kane won’t be forgotten at all and fall to the usual “bury the gay” trope.
- As for Leslie’s body of work, she’s appeared in other shows like The Family Business, MacGyver, and the film Always a Bridesmaid.
- She’s also the first African-American Batwoman EVER (since its always been Kate Kane running around with the mantle before.
Batwoman season 2 is scheduled for release January 2021 on CW!
What do you guys think? Leave a comment below and follow me on Twitter at @thefanboyseo!