5 Things to Know about Kamen Rider Zero-One
Good day! This is Salaryman here to give an update in the lore of Kamen Riders. As the Heisei Era draws to a close, we bid goodbye and say thank you to 19 years of Kamen Riders starting in the year 2000.
Now in the first year of the Reiwa Era, we welcome the newest Kamen Rider to blaze the trail in the long-running heroic legacy of guys in colorful spandex, bug-eye helmets and awesome belts/drivers punching/kicking their way in the name of Justice.
Kamen Rider Zero-One. (More details below, so read on please)
As the teaser plot goes (in my own word):
Japan has entered a new era of technological advancements; Hiden Intelligence, the leading company in the field of artificial intelligence (AI), created the HumaGear; androids that look like a regular humans. These HumaGear have been a staple part in all aspects of society. Unfortunately, a terrorist cell known as “MetsubouJinrai.NET” hell-bent in eliminating Humankind has corrupted several androids turning them into Murder Machines (cue freak-of-the-week format). The then Government established A.I.M.S. (Artificial Intelligence Military Service) an MIB/S.H.I.E.L.D.-like organization to combat these threats.
Enter the Hero! In a form a failed stage-comedian named Aruto Hiden. He was appointed as the CEO/President of Hiden Intelligence after the passing of his Grandfather. With no interest in running a global company, Aruto was thrust in the middle of conflict against these warring factions. Fortunately, his grandad left him a memento and you guessed it right! A Rider belt or Driver as they call it in the Heisei Era. Now transforming into Kamen Rider Zero-One, this binary Hero aims to put a stop on the terrorists and the government strike team to protect the innocent only a Kamen Rider can.
Now for our Dramatis personæ:
1. Kamen Rider Zero-One: Aruto Hiden. As mentioned, he is a failed stage-comedian more interested in pursuing stand-up comedy than running his grandfather’s company after being appointed as the new CEO and in doing so, puts him in the middle the of MetsubouJinrai.NET /A.I.M.S. conflict. Wielding the Hiden Zero-One Driver, this binary hero sets out to continue the legacy of the Kamen Riders. Portrayed by Fumiya Takahashi, born March 12, 2001 – which exactly fits his Kamen Rider nom de guerre.
2. Kamen Rider Vulcan: Isamu Fuwa. The stoic and rugged CO of A.I.M.S. He harbors a personal grudge against the HumaGears and will stop at nothing to ensure their total destruction. He also hates Hiden Intelligence and by association, Aruto. The source of this hatred will be revealed in the coming story. He transforms into Kamen Rider Vulcan using the A.I.M.S. Shot Riser. Isamu Fuwa is played by Ryutaro Okada born December 27, 1993.
3. Kamen Rider Valkyrie: Yua Yaiba. Though not the first female Kamen Rider, the series tries to branch in new ways to entice us. As the technical advisor for A.I.M.S and was heavily involved in the development of the A.I.M.S. Shot Riser, she also has deep hatred on these androids but tries to keep her emotions hidden at all times. As with Vulcan, she transforms using the A.I.M.S. Shot Riser. Yua Yaiba is portrayed by Hiroe Igeta she was born in February 3, 1997
4. Kamen Rider Horobi: Horobi. His name literally means “exterminate” and as the leader of the terrorist cell, he believes that AI systems surpass humanity in every way. Thus he hacks into HumaGears and transforms them into Murder Machines. He considers Aruto, who makes laughter his policy, his rival. He is cold-hearted his mantra is “the day humanity will become an endangered species is near”. Horobi is portrayed by Shuya Sunagawa.
5. Kamen Rider Jin: Jin. Jin = Quick. Though child-like in stature, his hacking skills are top-notch. He is in charge in transforming the HumaGears into Murder Machines. Jin is played by Daisuke Nakagawa.
The series feels like Marvel-ish to me. A fortune 5 million company creates state-of-the-art technology. The lead protagonist, a lackadaisical fellow left with no choice but to wear a high-tech armor to fight evil. A terrorist group is called A.I.M.S. (sharing the same name with of a Marvel supervillain group). With these aspects, does it remind you of a certain Marvel hero? I’m going to wait for this series to premiere with excitement and hope. Hoping that they make a worthy Kamen Rider series for the new era. They have given us so many memorable series in the past, so it worth noting that the future is in great hand.
1. With “zero” in Japanese and “one” in Japanized-English, Zero-One can be read as Rei Wan (零 ワン) in Japanese, referencing the fact that he is the Kamen Rider of the Reiwa era.
2. Zero-One pay homage to Kamen Rider 1: Both are the first series of the start of their respective era, both have bug-like eyes, both have number one in their names. Cool isn’t it?
3. After 30 plus years, Zero-One is the very first lead Kamen Rider in modern times that is entirely themed after a grasshopper, the last one was RX.