Game of Thrones S7E1 _ Dragonstone Review [SPOILERS]
Today marks the debut of the Game of Thrones S7E1 which is entitled Dragonstone. Why Dragonstone? You’ll find the reason somewhere in this spoiler-filled review/ reaction post for HBO’s megahit fantasy series.
- Arya Stark being a badass! Killed all important members of House Frey, definitely a call back to the Red Wedding.
- Cinematography for the White Walkers elicits dread. Good job. Ginalingan.
- Also that fucking giant has become a White Walker now. Good luck gang!
- Bran Stark and Mera Reed reaches The Wall. That guy who looks like WWE/ NXT’s Neville as the new Lord of the Night Watch is still something we need to adjust too. Feel scared for the Night’s Watch.
- Jon Snow getting ready for war gives us a reminder that he is the King of the North. Lyanna Mormont as being a badass.
- Nooooo Tormund. Don’t go there. You’ll pretty much die.
- God I love the in-fighting between Sansa Stark and Jon Snow. She makes so much sense now than when we started Game of Thrones.
- The Umbers and the Carstarks getting forgiveness seemed iffy for me. Its still loyalty when it comes to House Stark.
- Poor Sansa though. We may see a betrayal from Sansa down the road. She has been groomed after all by Littlefinger. I also ship these two. Badly. I wish they established a plot for them.
- Cersei sending over a raven to summon Jon Snow is a subtle reminder that she’s calling the shots these days. Musical props too for the Rains of Castamere when we first see Cersei and Jamie Lannister.
- Gotta love how Cersei looks at her situation with “enemies at every side”. There’s how she takes the situation and how much she’s changed with the death of her children.
- Euron Greyjoy and his entire fleet is something too. Did they change actors for Euron though? Or maybe that’s just me. The exposition between Euron and Kingslayer was great to watch.
- Love the new armor for The Mountain. All black and shiny.
- An alliance between Greyjoys and Lannisters is one of the most logically sound alliances in this season. Wanna see what happens soon.
- Sam’s plot was cute but boring. The only thing that was fun was the tease for that gate and how those mundane moments were executed.
- Game of Thrones I missed your gore. And the brevity of the scene between Sam and the Archmaester was a hoot. I also totally missed that Harry Potter reference in those scenes.
- I love the philosophy that was presented in that scene. How people freak out that its the end of the world and yet we survive.
- Brienne and Pod’s plot together with Tormund’s continuous torment was lovely. Add that to how Baelish and Sansa continues with their secret conversation. Its the heart of GoT from the North.
- Fucking Ed Sheeran. I laughed at that. Was that really necessary?
- The Hound is still with the Brothers without Banners. And boy that was one hell of a throwback. This also sets up the guy’s turning face, what with him finding the White Walkers marching towards the Wall.
- We find out where Jorah Mormont is and he’s not in a pretty place I’ll tell you that.
- Our beloved Khaleesi has returned to Dragonstone here in Game of Thrones S7E1. The cinematography is gorgeous and you gotta give HBO credit for dishing Daenerys’s scenes in Dragonstone.
- Then you have to that slow paced march towards Dragonstone’s throne room and into the map room where Emilia Clark delivers one line – Shall We Begin?
- Its a fitting opening and closing. It opens the bloodiest war with the Lannisters and opening for Game of Thrones season 7. Its also a great closing to a remarkable episode.
There’s a bit of weakness in this week’s episode but as a much-anticipated premiere, this had something in it; I couldn’t pinpoint it though. A sense of dread for whats to come; a sense of wonder as some characters get to change their motivations; a sense of dismay as how some characters continue to show how fickle minded they are.