More Galaxy Battles Details, the next big DOTA 2 Majors in the Philippines
I already posted the initial details for Galaxy Battles and after attending their very grand press conference at the Samsung Music Hall at SM Aura last week, its time to let you guys know what they plan to do here in 2018 for the “first major of 2018”.
The major competition made waves in it’s first season in Shenzhen, China and now the organizers Fallout Gaming (FG) and Purpose Win (PWEL) are bringing the fun to the Philippines. For this outing the tagline goes “Emerging Worlds” which is also a play on the merging of both professional and amateur players, a first in the entire history of DOTA 2. They also add that its an “emerging world” because they are bringing in Southeast Asia to the same level as other countries when it comes to esports.
The upcoming Majors, with a total prize pool of USD 1,000,000.00 will commence in mid-November with the regional invitational qualifiers and the open qualifiers played throughout 6 regions; China, South East Asia, Europe, Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), North America and South America. The qualifying period will run for an approximate duration of 4 weeks and will determine the top 8 qualifying slots for the Galaxy Battles qualifiers. The slot allocations per region are divided as such: 1 slot will be award to the Open Qualifiers, 1 slot to China, 1 slot to South East Asia, 1 slot to Europe, 1 slot to CIS, 1 slot to North America and 1 slot to South America.
Since this is a series of firsts, the organizers are also proud to announce that the Galaxy Battles Major will also have 2 slots given to whoever wins the New Blood Championships – Southeast Asia’s first amateur tournament. Once they filled out the 10 slots allocated for qualifiers, Galaxy Battles will then invite 8 teams from across 6 Asian regions to the main event.
Main Event Galaxy Battles Details
Here’s what I found out so far from the GB press conference.
- The venue’s going to be at the Philippines Arena in Bulacan which has a 60,000 seating capacity.
- Competition will feature 18 teams battling for the $1,000,000 grand prize.
- There will be three (3) main sections including an activity center that will feature everything and anything DOTA (think, small scale Disneyland)
- Aside from the park activities, there will also be food and beverage zones, resting pods and resting areas and most importantly sponsorship areas.
- There will be “Galaxy Entertainmenet Area” in the open air stadium which will feature the ‘Galaxy Battles music festival’. Organizers hope of bringing in international artists, regional and local artists as well.
Adrian Gaffor, Managing Director of Fallout Gaming has this to say:
Introducing new experiential event components to esports events brings a new dynamic to the overall consumer experience. What we hope to achieve with the fusion of entertainment and esports is a more holistic approach to creating an exciting and fresh way to experience gaming.